Saturday, March 6, 2010

Friday Night Fish Fry Anyone?

Well, it is that time of year again when pretty much any local bar, tavern, and restaurant that serves food is churning out a Friday Fish Fry. Lent is here (which for some means no meat on Fridays) and that will bring out the masses for chowing down on fried fish. I wonder if this is just a Wisconsin thing or does this ritual take place nationwide? I love a good fish fry, but after going primal my days of eating 'All-You-Can-Eat' fried fish are probably over. While that might seem a bit sad, i'm not worried as I LOVE baked and broiled fish too...with EXTRA butter and lemon juice!

After getting home from work yesterday I was ready to do some cooking of my own to honor this tradition (and keep with my Lenten sacrifice) so out came the cod. Rather than coating this with beer batter and deep frying it in some form of vegetable oil as most places do, I decided to go with the baked approach. A bit more pimal I think and it turned out nicely (see image).

It was a pretty simple recipe and we ate it with a nice bed of romaine lettuce with cracked black, a drizzle of EVOO and a little parm cheese. The fish was coated in EVOO, lemon juice, cracked black, dill flakes, garlic powder and a few red pepper flakes (we love a little kick!). To top it off we washed it down with a nice micro brew IPA from Great Lakes Brewery (Milwaukee), because a Wisconsin fish fry isn't complete without a beer in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment